Monday, February 6, 2023

The WriMo Blog: My ONC Announcement & Project Details


Welcome to The WriMo Blog where I share my monthly writing goals, project progress, and more! Today's post is all about my decision to participate in the Open Novella Contest on Wattpad, this year! If this interests you, keep reading!
It’s official. ONC2023 has begun, which means I am announcing my participation! And yes, I waited until the prompts were released so I am also sharing my prompt choice because I have that too!

I am definitely a couple of days late in sharing this post, but it is only because I have been in full planning mode. Additionally, I’m taking care of sick family members. Anyway, if you follow me on TikTok, you’ve already seen my announcement, but here is a more in-depth explanation of my goals for the next 12 weeks!

When the prompts were announced, it took me a bit to read through and see which ones I preferred, but making my final decision was not as easy. Similar to last year, I wrote down my top favorite prompts, except I did things differently. I handed the prompts to my sister (also a writer) and she showed me the two that stood out to her. I couldn’t decide on just one, so I’m writing 2 novellas this year! I know, crazy!

The first of my two projects is going to be a dystopian adventure, and takes place in an underground bunker. I’ve been comparing it to City of Ember meets The Giver and The Island. I really want to do well in the world-building. It’s different than most of the stories I’ve written because there are dystopian elements I have not tried yet and they haven’t been of use to me until now.

Here is a draft blurb; The Outside World
For over a century, the world has been at war. There are very few who still remember what life was like above-ground. I was born in the bunker, and I am very certain I will die here without ever setting eyes on the outside world. And that day might be soon.

Rumors are circulating that the food supply is running low. The Government had hoped there would be enough for everyone to survive the war 150 years. 

War news is broadcast through secure radio signal. There is only one reporter the Bunker can count on to say the truth, until today. Clarissa Delgado has accused the Government of lying to us.

City of Ember meets The Giver and The Island in this dystopian apocalyptic-conspiracy.

My second project is a fantasy, romantic urban-paranormal mix. I think it was meant to be categorized as “romance” among the prompts list, but writers are encouraged to use them however we can to make our stories work. My sister said she really liked this one the most of all the prompts I showed her. My thoughts immediately when to the guardian angel trope.

I have written a guardian angel  style of story before, but I never reached a point in that story where I was happy enough to share it with readers. I’m not holding back with this one. Also, I think this one will get more of my writing attention than the dystopian one, because at the time of writing this post, I’ve already submitted the first 2,000 words!

Draft-blurb; INVISIBLE
He was assigned to protect her on the day she was born. He has watched her grow up into a beautiful, pure young woman. Taking every precaution in the Handbook, he has made certain her life is never put in danger. Until now.

Myrtle leads a simple life and takes a public bus everyday to work. She always sees a very handsome young man sitting at the back. Myrtle wishes she had the courage to talk to him. Until one day she decides to talk to him, and nothing makes sense anymore.

There you have it, my 2 Open Novella Contest entries. I’m doing my best to write consistently, daily, and to maintain momentum. I’m not thinking about the endgame just yet, but I do have an idea of what I hope to accomplish. I will have more to share soon! Stay safe, and stay awesome. See you in the funny papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment