Friday, June 2, 2023

The WriMo Blog: June Project & Goals | I did not make many. Just a couple.


Welcome to The WriMo Blog where I share my monthly writing goals, project progress, and more! Today's post is about my writing plans for June 2023. If this interests you, keep reading!

I am taking a brief few months away from my fantasy/sci-fi writing for a few months. Why? Because I want to work on my contemporary romance for a while, and I’ve already begun working on the most pressing. Some of you might think it’s the next HEARTS OF GOLD book; yes, that is in the plans but its not the one I’m working on right now.

Well, I’ve already been working on revising one of my romance novels. It’s part of a series that I really need to re-title, and the blurb needs work. I recently shared a new version of my blurb to a writing group and one person’s feedback triggered the need to work on it some more. Of course, I knew I would need to work on it a few times before I wrote “The One”.

I am taking a brief hiatus from my AuthorESElias profile on Wattpad for a while, putting my focus on my EstherEliasRomance for the next few months. I haven’t updated the profile in a while. I think the last thing I did was remove TRUSTING IN FAITH from the platform so I could start my publication schedule. And speaking of publication schedules… I want to share my goals for the project I mention above.

This project is important to me. All I want is for readers to enjoy it as much as I do. Of course, I know my writing is not for everyone, but there is an audience out there this kind of book. One reader said it reminded them of John Green’s The Fault In Our Stars. But with a happier ending. Prior to receiving that review, I had never read the book; the movie had just come out. I watched it after reading that person’s comment. It made sense, though there are a lot of differences. I think the themes are what make them similar.

What I’ve done to this book is completely edit out the subplot and alter it to better suit the ending. I’ve also completely rewritten the story, adding new chapters and changed some of the conversations between the two MCs. It flows better and made me fall in love with the story all over again.

Another goal of mine this month is to get started the novelette I wanted to write last year for a fantasy series. I know! Why work on fantasy project when I want to work on my romance writing? Because I can’t help it. I’ve always worked on multiple projects at once; it’s a practice I’ve kept for many years.

It’s easier for me to work on multiple projects rather than focus on a single one. But there are some cases when I can hyper-focus on one project and have it go really well. For instance, I started the ONC2023 with 2 projects, worked on them both until my attention zeroed in on the one I thought would reach the finish line before I started working on them both again. Eventually, THE OUTSIDE WORLD took all of my attention and I went with the creativity flow.

And at the start of 2020, I worked on the first book of my then series, THE BRIDGE BETWEEN WORLDS. I didn’t let any new ideas distract me, I was focused and I wrote and revised a 50,000+ word novel in under six weeks. I know I can focus on one project at a time, it just needs to be important… 
All of my writing is important, but you get the idea.

So, that’s the first project I’m hoping to finish this month. The HEARTS OF GOLD novel I want to work on is not for publication. It’s a first draft for a novella idea I’ve had for a while. Whether I can get it started, I’m not certain but its a goal.

I think that is all for now. Thank you for dropping in. I hope everything is going well for you and your WIPs. Stay safe, and stay awesome. See you in the funny papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment