Friday, December 29, 2023

The WriMo Blog: Final Post of the Year | 4th Quarter Review & Reflect


Welcome to The WriMo Blog where I share my monthly writing goals, project progress, and more! Today's post is a farewell to 2023 and a brief reflect on my writing progress. If this interests you, keep reading!

The year is coming to a close and I have a lot to reflect on. The most important thing is the fact I wasn't stressed about moving houses again. It was a possibility, but we're not thinking about that for a while.

In terms of writing, I think I've grown a lot this year. My writing process and pace has change so much, and I didn't know it until the summer. This was happening for a while, and I first attributed it to the 5 years worth of chaos in my life. Honestly, its the first year in a while that I wasn't standing on pins and needles wondering what will interrupt my routine. Sure, I always have events and family stuff pop up, but nothing like the last few years. And not just because of the pandemic.

I think my most successful and greatest achievement this year was Open Novella Contest 2023. Not only did I write 2 entries, but one of those entries made it to the final round. It was such a confidence builder for me. And I rode that train through the summer.

I got to spend 6 weeks with my extended family. It was a nice break from almost everything that surrounds me. I didn't take off work, if I did I wouldn't have had $$ when I got home. xD

I didn't update the WriMo Blog during the final weeks of NaNoWriMo, but ... Let me just get this out. Please do your own research, in case you don't know what went down. I do not support what was happening. It was ethically and morally wrong. But I am keeping my NaNoWriMo account because it has 12+ years worth of my writing and word counts growth saved there. I only ever used the word count tracker, because it's the best one on the internet. And I will not be peer-pressured into boycotting just because its what everyone else is doing.


Finally, I've decided to try out Heart Breathings' Planning Your Writing Year workbook (sign up for the Heart Breathings newsletter to get access). I know I've talked about it before, but I don't really "plan" my year because of how spontaneous my life is; I set goals. I don't always accomplish those goals, but I'm always using them to learn and grow in my writing journey. So, because my life is "settling", I am giving the planner a try. 

I keep planners, I create/sell planners and its mostly to document what goes on in my life. But looking ahead and planning what I hope to do before I reach it seems like something I should give a try. Granted, I've "planned" to write a Christmas/Holiday comedy every December since 2017, but never got around to it. Stuff happens, writing takes a backseat, and that's okay.

2023, overall, was a decent year. I may not have written as much as I wanted, or reached goals I set for myself. But it was a great writing year. I think I've grown in my writing and I learned to let it flow naturally. Sure, I did this before, but it's become a stronger habit this year.

Here's to a new year of creativity! Stay safe, and stay awesome. See you in the funny papers!




No comments:

Post a Comment