Monday, March 14, 2022

Open Novella Contest 2022: I am in the Homestretch! | The WriMo Blog, with E. H.

Hello, writer friends! Happy Pi Day! Today's post is mostly an update on my progress in THE LARK'S PEARL. I progressed into Round 2 of the Open Novella Contest. I woke up to a bunch of notifications and tags from other participants who were congratulating me for qualifying. Someone gave my book a shout-out, and it got me to 400 reads and 100 votes! It's been absolutely insane.

My book is currently sporting the "2k Words" ONC sticker. When I was editing the cover to add the sticker, I totally cried. I share this on my Instagram when I found out I was in Round 2, but even though I have received contest stickers before, this one felt more "official". It's not a sticker from a friend who asked me to participate in their contest. It's not a sticker I made to broadcast my book's rank.

It's not a sticker from a magazine or anything like that, but this is a sticker from an "official" contest that makes me feel like I've made it. It is such a surreal feeling for me. I have been writing for over ten years now and it just feels so validating. I don't know how far I will make it in this contest, but I know it is going to bring me more experience and I won't ever forget it.

Writing Progress: It is Thursday evening prior to March 14th, when this post is going public. And I am just over 2,000 words away from the 20,000 word mark. I got some feedback from a fellow-writer who helped me make a decision on where to take the story and how to bring it all to a proper ending. A "happily ever after" ending. As mentioned in my previous post, I had a bit of a lull in writing. It did not last long. I jumped right back into the saddle and my word are flowing steadily again.

I'm thinking about other things I can do to celebrate this accomplishment (the necklace might not be immediate). I would love to get the book printed and display it on my non-existent bookshelf. I think I mentioned that my current house is too small for these kinds of pleasures.

Anyway, thank you for joining me. Stay safe, stay awesome. See you in the funny papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment