Saturday, February 3, 2024

Open Novella Contest 2024: Day Two Update | Making a Game Plan | The WriMo Blog


Welcome to The WriMo Blog where I share my monthly writing goals, project progress, and more! Today's post is a progress update and a look at my writing plan. If this interests you, keep reading!
ONC 2024, Day 2 was a success. I say this with confidence because I wrote over 800 words! Even as I write this post, I am adding words. The word count from Day One was mostly from the blurb. 
I think I typed only 94 words of story content, overall. 

My daily word count goal is 500 words, and depending on my momentum, I will add more to keep with it. The NaNo tracker calculates my daily count to be 222 words a day, but I made it 500 because I know its achievable. Plus, it will help me reach the next 1k quicker.

At the time of writing this update, I have not yet finished Chapter One. The reason being, I hope to make my chapters around 2k long, each. 2k per chapter, that brings me to ten (10) or eleven (11) chapters, and results in an easy 20k. Additionally, I publish my chapters after I've started the next one, so I hope to have this first chapter up this weekend. Sources say: It will happen.

The 2k submission form went public today as well. And while I can definitely post and submit immediately. I would like to have a few chapters written and published before before I do that. If I submit over the next week, I then have to wait the entire month on pins and needles. But I don't want to leave my submission to the last minute. There's a lot going on in my mind right now. LOL

I usually start all of my books with something of a prologue, and while I did consider it for THE GIRL WITH SCARS, I'm not sure its needed. So, I've decided to just follow my writing flow and worry about the necessity of a prologue later. Its not necessary at this time.

I had an intriguing thought as well. All of my novellas have been written under my scifi/fantasy pen-name, but none under my romance name. Why? I guess those type of prompts just didn't call to me. It's not like I didn't consider entering with my other name, I just go with my heart. If my heart says: "Go fantasy!" I'm go with it!

Although, INVISIBLE from ONC2023 is definitely a contemporary fantasy with supernatural elements. I did think it might feel like a romance, but its not.

I think that's all for now. If I forgot anything, I will talk about it in my next update.

If you're on Wattpad and you're participating in the ONC2024 comment below with the link to your entry! I'll add it to my growing support list!

Thank you for being here. Stay safe, and stay awesome. See you in the funny papers!



No comments:

Post a Comment